I compiled a couple of posts on how to configure XFree86 4.1.0 to get it
working on a Rage 128.

First get the rpm's from the unsupported tree under mandrake-devel of your
favorite mirror and type

rpm -Fvh XFree*

You should get a clean upgrade of XFree86 4.1.0 (at least I did with a clean
install from cooker from a few days ago on a Powerbook G3 400 (firewire)

Then you need to edit your XF86Config-4

(1) You won't get into X at all w/ a Rage 128 PR, because the r128
driver does not recognize this card - you need to masquerade it as a
different (but very similar) card to get it to detect your device.
 Insert the line:

 ChipID      0x5046

in the section labeled "Device" in your /etc/X11/XF86Config and the same
config from 4.0.3 should now work in 4.1

(2) Apparently 4.1 doesn't support the XkbModel "macintosh" - maybe this
has been phased out.  In any case, what you need to do in this case to
have a usable keyboard is run the following as root (I'd recommend
putting it in a startup script - /etc/rc.d/rc.local works for me :)

 echo 1 > /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes

and change the line:

 Option "XkbModel" "macintosh"

 Option "XkbModel" "pc101"

in the "InputDevice" section of your XF86Config file.

And under the Device Driver area add this

 Option "UseFBDev"

You do not need to set the DefaultColorDepth to 15 anymore.  This is a fully
accelerated 2-D driver. I am using 24 bits as my default depth.  Wow, let me
tell you the whole system feels snappier... X was really dragging EVERYTHING
down with it.  Gimp plug-ins are almost instantaneous now... my powerbook at
400 blows the doors off my Celery at 450.

 There is no DRI support just yet in the kernel, although some are playing
with enabling kernel options to get it working.  I don't think anyone's
gotten it to work yet.  So 3-d ain't there up to now.

  _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

  James O'Malley
  Altamente.com
  Business Internet Solutions

-----
Like, if I'm not for me, then fer shure, like who will be?  And if, y'know,
if I'm not like fer anyone else, then hey, I mean, what am I?  And if not
now, like I dunno, maybe like when?  And if not Who, then I dunno, maybe
like the Rolling Stones?
  -- Rich Rosen (Rabbi Valiel's paraphrase of famous quote
     attributed to Rabbi Hillel.)