Hey there - I think I can help you w/ most of these things, but let's
try to tackle one at a time, eh? :)

First off - with the USB printer, is your printer being recognized by
the USB subsystem?  This would probably require you inserting the
'printer' module - something like this should do the trick:

# /sbin/modprobe printer

To see if that recognized your printer, try this (right after the above)

# tail /var/log/messages

and see if it says anything about your printer, e.g. that it was bound
to something like usblp0

Right back!
-Brice