On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, Larry Blodgett wrote:

> When I installed Mandrake 8.0 on my iBook it told me to restart and
> CMD+OPT+O+F.  Then it said to type "setenv boot-device hd:10,11:tbxi"
> then shut-down.  I did that and nothing happened.  I would like to
> use bootx and clear the other information.  How do I do it?

I sure hope it didn't tell you to put that, there are 1 too many numbers
up there.  It shown something more like:

hd:10,\\:tbxi

or

hd:11,\\:tbxi

That said, you can reset it to what was there previously using the same
technique, assuming you remember/wrote it down.  Otherwise, when MacOS
comes up eventually, set the boot drive from there.

MacOS will be the limiting factor as to whether you can use BootX.  It
doesn't work after a certain version (9? - don't remember).  It is also no
longer developed/supported by the author.  Having to rely on MacOS to boot
Linux is both messy and slower, and introducing other issues as far as
initializing video hardware etc.

I don't know how your machine is setup, but you'll want to specify

root=

Use whatever partition you used for "/".  You will also need a copy of the
kernel over on the MacOS side (see what I mean about messy).  There are
kernels on my website below if you can't get them from Linux to MacOS.

HTH

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA      http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC Faq: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker-ppc&m=99441208917647&w=