On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Ken Simpson wrote:

> Hi all, traffic on this list is getting pretty small, have I missed something?

We're still here ;^)

> 1. I would like to network my Powerbook running LM8 to my desktop
> running MacOS 9.2.1. From my reading it looks like I need netatalk,
> but I can't work out if it has been installed by Mandrake, and if it
> has, how to use it. I have read the HOWTO's on the disk, but so far
> have not been (mainly able to work out if it is installed and how to
> run it. Any help here?

Not on the CD - but there is an RPM on my web page - below.  As to how to
use it, you could try this piece I wrote a while back:

http://networking.earthweb.com/netos/oslin/article/0,,12284_624251,00.html

David is working on an official MDK netatalk RPM

> 2. I would like to be able to use my (SCSI) zip disk on my powerbook.
> dmemsg tells me it is sensed at sda so I made an entry in fstab
> /dev/zip /mnt/zip hfs nosuid - can't rememebr the next bit ... 0 0
>
> then I made a directory /mnt/zip and made a link from /dev/sda to /dev/zip
>
> Then I tried mount /dev/zip - can't mount because wrong start block,
> or too many filesystems mounted.
>
> tried canging it from hfs to vfat - no difference

Try to examine the partition table of the disk - chances are your data is
on a particualr partition.  Typically DOS formatted Zips are on sda4,
MacOS, I don't know, but the 1st partiton is usually the map, with a few
more for drivers.

Try this

sync
sync            (just in case)
/sbin/pdisk -l /dev/sda

and look for the data partition (the big HFS one)

> Any idea where to go next (zip won't work on my desktop either)
>
> Finally, the rpm blues are getting me down, nearly every package I am
> interested in fails due to broken dependencies. Is there an easier
> way than this?

Oh yes - try urmpi - it will find the dependencies and offer to install
the other packages for you ;^)

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA      http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC Faq: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker-ppc&m=99441208917647&w=