On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Ken Simpson wrote:

> OK - thanks for the help on the rpm front, and netatalk! The rpm
> problem is a bit bigger, but I will say more when I work out what's
> going on.
>
> Now - I tried installing the linux-benh-devel-2.4.9-benh0.tar.gz
> kernel from ppckernel.org. I was able to unpack the tarball fine,
> copied System.map and vmlinux to /boot and setup yaboot and ybin
> appropriately (I think).
>
> However, when I try to load the kernel, I get "ramdisk unable to be
> initialised" and dumped back into OF. This doesn't happen to the
> 2.2mdk kernel that came with LM8 (of course).

Ben's kernel may not have ramdisk support - and you are using an initrd
stanza in yaboot?  Don't know for sure.  Is there some specific reason you
need 2.4.9 over the 2.4.4 we provide?  You could try commenting out the
initrd stanza.

> Also, if I want to link appletalk.o into the kernel, I presume I need
> to put it in a startup script so that it happens at every restart.
> Any suggestions where to put it?

[stew@powerbook-cooker stew]$ less /etc/rc.d/rc.modules
#!/bin/sh
# (c) MandrakeSoft, Chmouel Boudjnah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
# $Id: rc.modules,v 1.1.1.1 2000/07/30 05:07:38 chmouel Exp $
# Debian idea.

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA      http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC Faq: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker-ppc&m=99441208917647&w=