On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, James Meade wrote:

> For about a week now, I've been trying to get Mandrake to install on my
> G3-upgraded 7300 system without much luck. So far, I've been reduced to
> playing "musical kernels" to get it to recognize my SCSI hard drives,
> let alone the CD-ROM drive. Can someone provide a basic walk-thru on how
> to get this to install?

> IBM 2.1GB SCSI on SCSI bus 0, ID 0

> MacOS 9.0.4
> BootX 1.2.3
> Mandrake 8/PPC distro CDs

I have 2 ideas for you.  Move the IBM away from SCSI id 0.  There were
some reports on the linuxppc-user list that linux does not like having
harddrives at id=0 on those old machines.
I thought that BootX did not work reliably with MacOS > 9.0.x but that may
only be on New World Machines.

What specifically is the problem ?  Perhaps some detail such as " I boot
with BootX from SCSI HD trying various kernels, the system gets to the
such-and-such stage and then complains about ..., the last message on
VT2,3 was ..."

Good luck,

Q.