On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, K Montgomery wrote:

> I successfully installed and am able to boot (from OpenFirmware)
> Mandrake 8 on my G4.  However, I tried to build a new kernel, and when I
> try to load it from yaboot I get this error:
>
> DEFAULT CATCH!, code=300 at   %SRR0:01411088   %SRR1:00003030
>
> and I am kicked back to OF.
>
> The new kernel I attempted to build from source was BitKeeper 2.4 Stable
> from www.ppckernel.org.  The already compiled kernel worked fine.  The
> kernel from my original installation (2.4.4-6.2mdk, from "uname -r")
> works fine.  I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong here... I do this
> all the time on Intel, but are there some PPC-specific caveats I don't
> know?
>
> - Kathy

Ahh the joys of PPC kernel building!  It always seems to be a coin toss.
The 2.2 series seemed to have stabilized, but I even had to patch 2.2.20
as it wouldn't build on PPC.  The problem could be a number of things,
SMP, wrong processor type, video choices, etc. etc.  What you might want
to do is take a look at the config file from any 2.4 series kernel I've
done for Mandrake PPC, and see what options are enabled vs. what you've
selected.  Generally the default that appears whe you do make menuconfig
is fairly safe.  On mine you'll find modules for a lot of stuff that many
PPC users wont ever use, but if it builds I include it.

As an aside, I've setup a script on my build machine that rsync's BenH's
kernel and builds a new RPM.  I just need to scp to my web space as part
of the script and then folks will have another option for pre-compiled
kernels.  If you find anything blatantly missing in the config let me
know.  I'll finish setting up the scp portion tonight.  I won't be
spending a lot of time on this kernel as it's not the official Mandrake
one, but I can certainly tweak the config.

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA      http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/FAQ/