On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Mr Mac wrote:

> Thanks for the response Stew...  while I await for my CD's....  I have a
> few more questions...
>
> Q.  Does 8.0 support Reiser FS?  If so will I be able to choose it
> during install..  All my 8.1 install on i86 are on Reiser FS and am more
> familiar with the journalized FS because of my days with Veritas on Sun
> and Solaris platforms...  I am also hoping that Mandrakesoft would have
> better support and more releases on Sun platforms.  I currently have
> SuSe on my Sun platforms.

It is supported with the 2.4 kernel, but not in the setup in 8.0.  The new
version in development does support Reiser, XFS, ext3 and JFS.

> Q,  Since I have YDL loaded right now on my Wallstreet, can I use the
> BootX I have installed on 9,2.1 from YDL and replace YDL's ramdisk with
> M8.0 all.gz and install that way....  also copying vmlinux from the M8.0
> boot directory onto 9.2.1 to boot off from once install is done?

Yes and no - use our all.gz and kernel for the install.  There are other
kernels and initrd images:

initrd-2.2.19-14mdk.img  vmlinuz-2.2.19-14mdk
initrd-2.4.4-6.2mdk.img  vmlinuz-2.4.4-6.2mdk

in misc/BootX-kernels, you should use the boot the running system.

> Q.  Is all.gz and all-2.2.gz both 2.2 kernel based?  Is vmlinux and
> vmlinux-2.2 both based on 2.2 kernel?  If so, where can I get 2.4 kernel
> and support?

No 2.2 is 2.2.19 based, the plain ones are 2.4.4 based

> Q.  Do you know what video options I have to give for the Wallstreet?  I
> didn't give BootX any when I installed YDL2.0..

Don't know off the top of my head.  The installer uses Xpmac for the
graphical install.  Initially I would try it as you have it set, second
try "novideo".

> TIA, hope you don't get tired answering my querries....

No problem - welcome aboard. ;^)