On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Ryan Boder wrote:

> Here is my latest attempt at installing the cooker from disk. The size
> problem went away when I mirrored it on an ext2 partition instead of hfs.
>
> So I mirrored the cooker on an ext2 partition and it finished ok only
> using 1.7 G like everyone said it would. Then I ran gendistrib described
> in the howto and it worked fine.
>
> I added an entry to my yaboot.conf called cooker-install that looks like
> this...
>
> image=hd:4,/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.13-12mdkBOOT
>       label=cooker-install
>       root=/dev/ram3
>       initrd=hd:4,/boot/all.rdz-2.4.13-12mdkBOOT
>       initrd-size=36000
>       append=" video=aty128fb:vmode:17"
>
> This is a copy of the aty128fb entry from the cooker boot directory except
> changed to reflect my mirror partition on hda4. I ran ybin and added the
> entry to my boot partition.
>
> Then I rebooted and chose cooker-install at the yaboot prompt which booted
> Ok and got me to the point where you can choose your install method (FTP,
> HTTP, NFS, CDROM, hard disk). I chose hard disk since the mirror is on my
> hard disk, but instead of going into the graphical install program, it
> said that "No partitions can be found". Then it asks what module to load
> to get scsi access and gives me a list of modules to choose from. I
> thought it should find the mirror and go into the installer.
>
> Am I doing something wrong here?

You might try the 2.4.4 kernel.  Stage1 reads /proc/partitions to try and
find the partitions, and it looks like the format has changed with the
newer kernel, hence the "no partitions found".  Still lookinga t what to
do about it.

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA      http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/FAQ/