On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 06:41:33PM -0800, Paul Luzano wrote:
> I'm attempting to install Cooker PPC onto a 350 MHz
> iMac which has run other Linux flavors in the past
> (including Mandrake 8.0).
>
> I receive two types of errors depending on the type of
> network installation:
>
> When attempting an NFS insallation, this message
> appears when the installer starts to load into memory:
>
> "install exited abnormally :-( -- received signal 7
> sending termination signals...done
> sending kill signals...done
> unmounting filesystems...
> you may safely reboot your system"

Not sure here.  I've never tried to do an NFS install on x86 let alone
ppc.  So i can't really help you there.

> When attempting an FTP insallation, this message
> appears before the installer completely loads into
> memory:
>
> "error in exec of stage2 :-(
> FATAL ERROR IN STAGE1: No such file or directory.
> I can't recover from this.
> You may reboot your system."
>
> All installations were conducted with files
> synchronized today from ftp.wtfo.com.
>
> I don't know whether it's just a bad time to jump in,
> or if the problem is caused by using a Mandrake 8.0
> Installation disk to boot from.

However, the latter sounds like it's a missmatch between 8.0 and cooker.

You should be able to build a boot cd with the mkppccds command in the
misc directory.  You probably will want to edit the paths in the various
mkcd tools.

--
Ben Reser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://ben.reser.org

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty and democracy? - Ghandi