On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Christian Walther wrote:

> Two issues that I recently encountered with 8.2b1 on my Wallstreet
> Powerbook:
>
> o Does Linux have any way of knowing the hostname that was set in MacOS X??
> When starting Linux, my Powerbook suddenly had the hostname "CWalthers
> PowerBook G3" that I had given it in MacOS X instead of the normal
> "localhost", and I'm pretty sure that I had never mentioned "CWalthers
> PowerBook G3" to Linux (because I suspected that Linux would not support
> hostnames with spaces in them, while I expect MacOS (X) not to allow me to
> do things that don't work).

The only way I know that would be picked up is if it's provided by a dhcpd
server.

> This caused another problem: When I tried to start KDE, it failed
> complaining about not being able to open some file ".DCOPserver..." (can't
> remember the exact name, but it had the new hostname in it). This problem
> vanished when I set the hostname back to "localhost".
>
> o I haven't been able to get Mac-On-Linux to recognize my CD drive. I added
> "blkdev: /dev/hdc -cd -boot" to /etc/molrc, and all I get when starting MOL
> is
> ----> (disk_open) Opening /dev/hdc1: No such device
> ----> (disk_open) Opening /dev/hdc2: No such device
> ----> (disk_open) Opening /dev/hdc3: No such device
> ...and so on until...
> ----> (disk_open) Opening /dev/hdc15: No such device
>
> I tried switching off supermount, but that didn't change anything.
>
> The CD drive is definitely /dev/hdc, as I could even mount the MacOS
> installation CD from there to copy out the MacOS ROM file.

Never tried booting MOL from CD.  I have the same entry here, without
-boot.

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/FAQ/
Cooker-PPC IRC:  irc.openprojects.net/#cooker-ppc