Hi all,

Just wanted to drop a quick note that I got Mandrake 8.2 beta installed via
cd from ISO's. Things are working more or less. I will get more details when
I have time to sit down and write up a detailed report.

My system: PowerBook G3 "Firewire" aka Pismo. 400 MHz G3, 320 megs ram, 10
gig hdd, 24x cd/dvd drive, Rage Mobility 128 (aty128fb driver).

I did get a working triple-boot setup thanks to Ben Reser's advice! (os 9, os
x, mandrake linux)

I am not new to Linux or Mandrake, and in fact I had run Mandrake 8.0 on this
laptop for a while, but had been wanting to set up a triple-boot for a while.
Using the 8.2 beta iso's was the perfect opportunity to try this, as well as
help out the community.

One thing I will say in this email is that it was quite a tight squeeze
getting what I wanted installed.  I only have a 1.4 gig partition dedicated
to linux, and most of it was taken up during install. I didn't install any
games, office apps, scientific apps, or development tools. I really wanted to
get the dev tools on there, but they more than doubled the size of the
install, and greatly exceeded my available disk space.

There are a lot of things that don't seem to be working due to dependency
issues, and I have a feeling that some of those would be resolved if I could
get the dev libraries installed.  There is also some general flakiness that I
would expect from a beta.

I'll give more detail when I get a chance. Were I still in college I would
stay up all night to get this working, but there is that pesky work thing in
the morning... ;-)

Cheers,

Peter