On Sat, 16 Mar 2002, Joseph Vidal-Rosset wrote:

> Le Samedi 16 Mars 2002 15:28, vous avez écrit :
> > On Sat, 16 Mar 2002, Joseph Vidal-Rosset wrote:
> > > Thanks a lot for your quick reply, Stew. I have succeded in installing
> > > and starting BootX. But the kernel panic seems to occurs because I need
> > > more space on the disk... I will add memory and I will install both Mac
> > > OS and Mandrake 8.2 on this Mac Performa. Tell me how much MB I should at
> > > least install.
> >
> > Less than 64MB will probably be tough.  At what point are you seeing the
> > panic, right at Linux boot? What is the message exactly?
> >
> > Stew Benedict
>
> Thank you Stew.
>
> I do not aim at installing an heavy Mac OS (I will probably stay at the 8.5),
> so 64MB will be far enough, I guess.
> I apologize for being always so hazy.
>
> Here what occurs. First, at booting Mac OS, I get en error message:
>
> "Error, could not find a suitable kernel file. File BootX.c, line 1086"
>
> I cancel and I go to the Mac OS desktop. I click on the icon BootX App. The
> Performa reboots and ... I quote:
>
> adb: starting probe task...
> VFS: cannot open root device "" or 08:01
> Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root 8s on 08:01
> <0> Rebooting in 180 seconds.
>
> End of quotation. But I wonder if I had not made a mistake in copying "root
> 8s.." sorry again. I hope it can help, even a little, anyway...

mount root "fs" is the normal message ;^)

Sounds like you need to setup BootX a bit more:

kernel: vmlinux         (In BootX "Linux Kernels" folder)
initrd: all.gz          (same location)
uncheck "Force Video" and "NoVideo" (at least on the 7600)
enter 32000 in Ramdisk size
try graphical install (no kernel arguments), or if that fails try putting
"text" in the kernel arguments field.

There's some documentation on setting it up in the "Tutorial" folder on
the CD.

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/FAQ/
Cooker-PPC IRC:  irc.openprojects.net/#cooker-ppc