On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Jean-Marie Bernadet wrote:

> hello all
>
> i've performed linux installations on both powermac and pcs but i must
> say i'm quite confused for now...
>
> here is my problem :
> i've eventually been through the install successfully (better have your
> cd drive on the proper channel !) but when it was time for the computer
> to boot into the freshly installed mandrake linux 8.2 beta 2, i had a
> black screen just after the install quits.
>
> can i use bootx to boot in 8.2 ?
> i understand i need a kernel and setting boot device. where can i get
> the good kernel ? how can i tell the partition device name (let's say
> it's partition 6 from the only SCSI disk in my machine (ID 0)) ? once i
> have the name, how do i tell bootx to boot that partition ???

Check the BootX folder of the ISO (are you using beta2 iso?).  Replace the
initrd with the one on:

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/initrd-2.4.18-6mdk.img

kernel should be the same version: vmlinuz-2.4.18-6mdk

There's really no way for us to know what drive/partition you installed
on. You could try to use pdisk to figure out what partition "/" is on, or
boot the rescue image.

MandrakeSoft
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/FAQ/