Johanna wrote:
> Okay, I've given it another try and spent yesterday on re-installing
> Mandrake and trying to tweak. Not very successfully, but at leat I
> understand a little more of Linux now, I believe :-)
>
> Three main issues remain unsolved for me, and I'd really, REALLY
> appreciate any help on them, as I'm quite keen on getting at least a
> Linux system I can work with for the beginning on my iBook2:
>
> - The text cursor still tends to jump away to where the mouse cursor is,
> which is REALLY REALLY annoying when typing text. As I want to use Linux
> in order to write research papers and theses on Lyx, I somehow have to
> resolve that issue. Could it have anything to do with poor trackpad
> control? I.e., that I possible touch the trackpad lightly while typing
> and the system interprets this as a mouse click? How could I find out if
> this is the case and possibly fix it?
>
> - I've followed Sylvain's HowTo on changing the keyboard layout. The
> result was that NEITHER the alt nor the Apple/AltGr button produced any
> secondary signs like @, EUR etc. My problem was not the keyboard mapping
> in itself - that's basically identical between PC and Mac in Germany
> (perhaps I've expressed myself unclearly previously) but the function of
> the other keys, ESP. the alt key and the wonderful signs it produces in
> MacOS. Is there any way to change it (I know, it might interfere with
> lots of shortcuts) and how do I do it?
>
> - My printer still doesn't work, and I don't know why. It's a Lexmark Z
> 42 which is supported by Gimp-print. I could chose it in the printer
> menu in the Mandrake Control center. I tried chosing all the USB ports
> (actually, it's in USB #2), several resolutions etc., but to no avail. I
> don't get any error messages; Linux seems to be under the impression
> that the printer works, there are no print jobs on queue left when I
> check, but no printed page cames out. The printer works perfectly under
> MacOS, so I'm a bit at a loss. Being able to print would be quite
> important for me...
>
> I'll try Stew's suggestion re the CD-drive as soon as I've booted
> Mandrake again - at the moment, a huge download is running under MacOS
> which I don't want to interrupt for too long.
>
> Modem is fortunately not so important for me (anyway, not Mandrake's
> fault it doesn't work), I've got ADSL, which works just fine.
>
> I haven't tried burning CDs yet - I hope that works without too much
> hassle? Mandrake obviously recognizes my CD-RW as a Sony RW XYZ, so that
> seems to be fine.
>
> Johanna

I hadn't noticed this as i don't do to much typing. Yesterday my wife
was in a hurry and was writing some emails in ML. She would normaly boot
into macos or use her compaq laptop. Well she reported to same thing
while writing emails in a web browser. At first i thought she must be
accidently touching the trak-pad or something, but shes a 90wpm person
and after wacthing for a while i saw that she wasn't touching the pad at
all. So could that be looked into.

Another bug i've found is with the ADSLspeed touch pro modem setup. I've
managed to get mine working now for a few weeks, and it took some trial
and error. When i want to connect i always have to load the modem
microcode manuly by doing
'modem_run -m -f /usr/share/speedtouch/mgmt.o'.

Using the 'connect'tab in CC does nothing. i then have to go through the
'wizard' to re-enter my isp details. I'm then told that i'm not
connected, but really i am .(i've read that the pc version sometimes
does this)
 From there it stays connected for days if need be and is very stable(i
also get a faster download speed than macos9/x or wintel), its just a
hassle having to go through the whole process if for some reason i have
to disconect. Can this be looked at, the Alcatel USB modem is very
populer and i know a number of people that want to use it with linux of
any kind. I still can't get pmud to start and boot, and it still won't
wake from sleep after i have started it manuly.

i  also  can't play audio CD's. I can if i rip them to MP3s and burn
them to cd, and the sound is perfect. I know there was a issue with this
but thought it had been fixed?

Apart from the probems i have mentiond my ibook is working very well
under this latest beta. The disply is so sharp and crisp and it runs
very fast, faster than macos. It also runs a lot cooler under linux. It
used to get so hot when using os9/x. It also very stable as in

Keep up the good work stew, i for one really appreciate all the hard
work that you've done.
Colin