On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 08:53:27AM +0100, Colin Ward wrote:
> How do I edit XF86Config-4 from within the terminal. I can navigate through
> the file system ok, but don't know how to edit a particular file from with
> in it. (I know I should). Also someone just wanting to try ML wouldn't know
> what to do if they where new to it. There are more of these apple monitors
> sold with pre silver G4s than any others. But any help is appreciated

Short Answer:
pico /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Longer Answer is well pretty hard to answer without knowing preciously
what needs to be done or going into a really long explanation of how the
XF86 Config files are setup.

However, have you tried adding:
append="video=ofonly"
(if you already have append=" devfs=mount" then it would be,
append=" devfs=mount video=ofonly")

You can add that to your yaboot.conf via;
pico /etc/yaboot.conf

When you're done run (as root):
ybin

ybin installs the bootloder options from the yaboot.conf config file.

I got the ofonly thing from this mailing list post:
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/2/2002/1/0/7690737/

Otherwise searching for a prewritten XF86Config-4 file (which is what I
started to do when I found the above link) for your video card + monitor
should resolve your problem.  Then all you'd need to do is copy it over
the existing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.  You probably will want to copy the
existing one to save it in case the new one doesn't work.  I usually do:
cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.mdk

HTH

--
Ben Reser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://ben.reser.org

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty and democracy? - Ghandi