First of all:  Thanks! Stew, for the pointers.  That was (most of) what I
needed.

Now, the "Hmmm...' part:

Well... After some puzzling over the "urpmi.addmedia(8)" man page (some
examples would be really helpful on that manpage.)  I decided to do
    urpmi.addmedia --distrib removable://dev/cdrom
with the bluebird CD1 in the drive.  That seems to have gotten package list
info for both CD1 and CD2 and integrated it into the database.  (I was
totally unable to figure out how to accomplish this using the gui in
rpmdrake -- even after perusing the tutorial from the CD1.  Am I just dumb,
or is there a section missing from the tutorial on adding new CD media?)

Then I did, as Stew suggested,
    urpmi --autoselect
and it updated/installed a bunch of packages.  So I guess everything's cool.
(Once again, I was totally unable to figure out how to accomplish this with
the rpmdrake gui.  Thank goodness for command language interfaces! says I.)

I still have some questions:

1) Did it install any new kernel parts?  If so, what do I have to do to take
advantage of them?  (Even if there were no kernel changes between
PPC/8.2beta2 (cooker) and PPC/8.2 (bluebird), the question still stands.
How do I take advantage of new kernel stuff, when it becomes available?)  Do
I need to rerun ybin?

I'm not a total newby -- I've read the ybin and yaboot (& so on) man pages
(and understood them! -- compared to urpmi(8) and cousins, they managed to
make the normally murky subject [of booting a kernel] crystal clear.).

2) When I try to install security patches from one of the mirror sites,
using the Mandrake Updater, it locates them just fine, but refuses to do the
updates because the two packages (sudo and imlib) that need updating are
"already installed".  Indeed they are already installed, but the installed
version is the buggy/insecure one.  How do I get it to do what I want?  Am I
missing a check-box or pull-down menu somewhere?

Thanks!

Rick