On Thu, 2 May 2002, Sean Schertell wrote:

> Thanks for all the advice about the sleep issue.  Guess I'll just wait
> for Ben to save the day with one of his magic kernels.  The next issue
> on my list is to try and get sound working.  It was working great under
> YDL 2.1/2.2 with XMMS set to the OSS driver.  But in Man8.2, XMMS, I get
> an error sound card not configured properly (or something like that).
> Because I'm a newbie, I thought HardDrake would be my ticket to poking
> around the sound card config, but after opening HardDrake, if I choose
> "hardware" ("system hardware"?) from the 5 or 6 icons available, X
> totally crashes every time -- black screen requiring a reboot, disk
> repair, the whole deal.  Any ideas on how to get my sound working with
> or without HardDrake?  It would be nice to be able to use HardDrake
> too.  Any ideas on that?  Thanks!

Hardrake isn't really going to do anything for you for PPC sound.  Most
all of the machines use the same drivers, although the name has changed
with kernel updates:

2.2.x   dmasound
2.2.4   dmasound_awacs
2.2.4+  dmasound_pmac

With 8.2, you should have the following modules loaded:

dmasound_pmac          46584   0
i2c-core               14824   0 [dmasound_pmac]
dmasound_core          13640   0 [dmasound_pmac]
soundcore               4936   3 [dmasound_core]

With an entry something like this in /etc/modules.conf:

alias sound-slot-0 dmasound_pmac

If all that is in place, xmms output driver should be OSS Driver 1.2.7.

It could also be a permissions issue on /dev/dsp, although normally this
gets set up properly when you log in/run X.

MandrakeSoft
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/FAQ/