For anyone that is interested I've built rpms for pbbuttonsd and it's
associated programs (gtkpbbuttons and powerprefs).

These RPMS will work with 8.2, if you want to use it with 8.0 it should
install however you'll need to change the paths to the pmu and the mixer
in the /etc/pbbuttonsd.conf to the following:
pmu = "/dev/pmu"
mixer = "/dev/mixer"

Honestly I haven't tested this under 8.0, but I'm pretty sure the above
will work.

At any rate the RPMS are setup to load on bootup and in the case of
gtkpbbuttons it'll start on every login to X.

You can find RPMS and SRPMS here:
http://ben.reser.org/mandrake/ppc/pbbuttonsd-0.4.9-1mdk/

If anyone at Mandrake wants to put these into contribs please do.
Either way I'll continue to maintain these RPMS and will post further
announcements as I update them.

--
Ben Reser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://ben.reser.org

We tend to see all wars through the lens of the current conflict, and we
mine history for lessons convenient to the present purpose.
- Brian Hayes