On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Targon wrote:

> I have kernel 2.4.18-6.1mdk
>
> 1) is this a dual processor kernel version?

kernel-smp (I really need to fix the smp detection =()

> 2) where do i find a newer kernel when one does become available
> and what do i look for to get the correct one? ie for Mandrake
> PPC?

All updates are referenced on the mirrors under updates, ie:

ftp://ftp.proxad.net/mirrors/ftp.mandrake-linux.com/Mandrake/updates/ppc/8.2/RPMS

The easiest way to do updates is to use rpmdrake (once you manually
retrieve and install the grpmi update which actually allows rpmdrake to
work).  This is for all packages EXCEPT the kernel.

> 3) once i have a new kernel how do i install it or when does it reside?

rpm -ivh kernel-xxx-xmdk.ppc.rpm

This will install the kernel/modules in the normal places (/boot,
/lib/modules).  It also updates yaboot.conf and runs ybin, via the
installkernel script. It leaves your old kernel, in the event there is an
issue with the new, so you can gracefully boot back to your old kernel.
(note the -ivh, not -Uvh)

> 4) other updates of system files what do i look for an how
are > they installed?

See above.  Use rpmdrake or rpm -Uvh or grpmi.

MandrakeSoft
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ppcFAQ.php3
IRC: irc.openproject.net #cooker-ppc