Hi all

I've completed a Wallstreet Powerbook install, using the instructions
on the 8.2 release CD. The install went reasonably well (I previously
had LinuxPPC 2000 running well) with the exception of some video
issues, which I have been unable to resolve thus far.

Using the Xpmac video driver, either in the install, or podst install
using XFDrake, I have the vertical band problem, where sections of
the screen show through vertical stripes of colour. I can manage a
text install, to get around the Xpmac problem.

Using XFree86 (Boot X kernel arguments
video=atyfb:vmode:14,cmode:32,mclk:90, pll:135, which always worked
in LPPC2000) I have a persistent resolution problem. The MacOS seems
to influence the video setting, no matter what I do. If I set up
MacOS as 640 x 480 32 bit, I get a full text screen at that
resolution, and a full X screen, which looks like it is at 1024 x
768. If I set up MacOS as 1024 x 768, 32 bit, I get a 640 x 480 text
screen and X screen. I can use fbset to change the text screen to
1024 x 768, but the use of the Mandrake control panel, Display
section, set to 1024 x 768, 32 bits, Rage LT Pro card, does not make
a difference in changing my X screen resolution. I want to get
everything operating at 1024 x 768.

I know it can because of my previous experience with Linux PPC. I
feel like I'm doing something obviously wrong here, but my trial and
error attempts to correct this are not working. I know some of you
have said you have properly working Wallstreet installs, though with
2.2 kernels. I am trying to achieve this with a 2.4 kernel, again, I
had it working with LPPC 2000.

Any assistance or further questions/guidance appreciated.

Cheers
Henry

--
Henry Harrison