On Monday, June 10, 2002, at 07:21  PM, Henrik Edlund wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, targon wrote:
>
> t> is a very fast an stable OS. After a few days use i think its slower
> t> than OS X on my Dual 500 G4. Aside from the speed issue's i
> must say im
> t> a little disappointed in the usability of the OS.
>
> Well, on my iBook2-500 (384MB) Mandrake 8.2 is about 10 times as fast
> doing most operations compared to MacOSX 1.1.5. Also MacOSX is so damn
> unstable it can hardly be used. I have at least one application crasch
> every day I run it, and I hate having to reboot after doing certain
> upgrades. MacOSX really sucks - let's see if Apple can release
> something
> usable within a few years maybe.

Interesting, there must be something terribly wrong with mandrake
on my Dual G4 then. It often takes up to 10 seconds to open a new
window up from the item in the right mouse click menu. I fresh
installed and only installed the packages on the left side of the
mandrake package installer..that is the workstation packages (not
games tho or scientific), i didn't install any of the server
packages.

Often the Mandrake control center just hangs an becomes
unresponsive. BTW what is the command to force quit an app?
Control,Alt, Delete seems to force quit the window manager an
then logs me out. Sometimes other apps just hang an the system
becomes unresponsive. I use Gnome, could this be the place where
the problems stem from? I don't think Linux it self has crashed.

> t> Is it just me having a miserable time with it or is this a standard
> t> life in Linux on PPC?
>
> As Obi-Wan said, it all depends on your point of view. To me OSX is
> miserable unusable, while Linux is perfect. And in the spririt of free
> software - if you don't like something - just dig in and fix it... :-)
>
> Best regards,
>
>   Henrik

While i agree OS X is far from perfect, for a first time user
experience it's significantly smoother to install an start using
without any hicupps. at least in my experience. Under Linux, the
first 2 apps i tryed to configure (mandrake center, evolution
mail) either hung an became unresponsive, or threw up an error at
launch time. Thats not a very good start. When i decided to
uninstall Mozilla from the mandrake software uninstaller i was
forced to log out and the machine wouldn't let me log in
resulting in a re-installation. Maybe im just very unlucky an my
hardware is not suitable for mandrake linux but on the whole i
get the feeling that Linux is no better than windows. It just
seems to be unpredictable an does many freaky things. I Shall
investigate Linux under AMD hardware, perhaps things are a little
smoother and easier access to the newest versions of software.

I have totally become very much attached to the "Galeon" web
browser, altho the version with 8.2 mandrakeppc is very old and
buggy i assume the newer version is much more mature. But the
newer versions seems unlikely to work on PPC due to it's
dependence on Mozilla 1.0. Hopefully on the x86 side things are
rosier.

I like the UI customization in Gnome using Sawfish but i was
curious as to if it is possible to customize it further? Im a
long time mac user an find it unsettling to see the cancel button
on the far right corner of dialogs. I'd like to be able to swap
the buttons around so the ok button is on the far right.
Additionally, i'd like some global way of assigning specific key
commands to every app system wide.. eg Command+Q for quit. I
notice some apps use alt+f4 while others use control+q and others
respond to nothing. Are these things possible to anyones
knowledge?

Does anyone think Gnome 2.0 will be a significant improvement on
the version shipped with 8.2 Mandrake PPC?

Regards