On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, MC wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently installed Mandrake 8.2 on my B&W G3 (feat. a Radeon PCI)
>
> Everything went fine during startup in text mode.
> But, when the KDE login screen is supposed to appear, all I get is an error
> screen.
>
> I'v tried both Xpmac and Xfree 4.2.6 at the end of the install process, but
> the result is the same.
>
> Xfree reports the following errors:
>
> (EE) RADEON (0) : CANNOT READ V_BIOS (5)
> (EE) RADEON (0) : [AGP] AGP NOT AVAILABLE (bwahaha!)
> (EE) RADEON (0) : [DRM] failed to remove DRM signal handler
> DRIUnlock called when not locked
>

> What can I do to get that Radeon working?

Well some Radeon cards work quite fine.  The radeon based tiBook that Phil
lent me worked quite well, and I updated the installer to support
graphical install on it.

Some things to look at:

See if the agpgart module is being loaded. If not try loading it manually
via modprobe. If that helps, make an entry in /etc/modules.

Try disabling DRI in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Unfortunately, until video card manufacturers feel shipping Linux/X
drivers with their cards (PPC versions too), we'll always be playing
catchup.

> PS: By the way, will mandrake ever support (acard) ATA-133 PCI cards ? Since
> that kind of card is quite common, it would be appreciated to get it
> supported by Mdk ...

Thanks Ben for covering this one :)

MandrakeSoft
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ppcFAQ.php3