On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Tobias Giesen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I installed 8.2 twice and this problem, too, was identical on both
> installations:
>
> After booting right into the X login, the keyboard's keys are all
> confused, for example:
> pressing 2 produces an f
> pressing q produces a y
> pressing TAB produces an r
>
> So typing in my password is _really_ difficult, but I figured it out.
> Within the desktop environment, I have to manually specify my desired
> keyboard layout each time.
>
> Any ideas?

Do you know if you're using XFree or XPmac?  Xpmac is less than friendly
with non-us keyboards, since it doesn't read the /etc/X11/XF86Config
files.

It is run by a script in /usr/X11R6/bin/Xpmac, where you could call out
the proper keymap. (This script could use some work. methinks)

If it's XFree, it should be picking up the right keymap from the config
files.

MandrakeSoft
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ppcFAQ.php3
IRC: irc.openproject.net #cooker-ppc