On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 07:47:27PM +0200, Harald T. Zipko wrote:
> strange problem: clients connected to the internet via the mdk 8.2 box
> (dhcp-server) are not allowed to download files via ftp from the
> internet; other services are working without any problems (eg email
> transfer, browsing...) - do I have to open a special port in order to
> enable ftp download through the mdk-box (ftp download disabled due to standard
>"firewall"
> settings...)?

Set the clients to use PASV or Passive transfers in ftp and it ought to
work.  The other option is to load the ftp helper module
ip_conntrack_ftp and allow related connections in your iptables rule
sets.

ala:
-A FORWARD -p tcp -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

Searching google for some the conntrack module and RELATED and iptables
should yield some useful results.

--
Ben Reser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://ben.reser.org

Never take no as an answer from someone who isn't authorized to say yes.