Hello,

I’ve tried to read through the archives, but, unfortunately, most of the explanations didn’t help because I don’t know what I’m reading.  I’m very new to Linux, and am having a problem with the PPC version of Mandrake 8.2.

The installation would only work in Text Install mode.  Any time I tried to use the graphical install, I would just get a blue screen with a cursor in the middle (the X).  The cursor wouldn’t move.  Once I got it installed, I was able to boot into yaboot and fire up Linux (pressing l).  At that point, I type “linux” and it goes through it’s bootup process.  When it goes to switch to the next phase (X-Windows or KDE, I presume) all I get is a black screen.  No cursor, no pointer – no nothing.

I can assume from the archives that this is a display driver problem.  From there, I am quite lost.  I’ve no clue where to go or how to go about troubleshooting the problem.

If anyone can give me a hand, I’d appreciate it.  Thanks much.

Gabe Knuth

[EMAIL PROTECTED]