Stew,

This is interesting.  Found out by studying the log file that 4MB isn't
enough to do 1024x768 @ 24bit colour.  Fine, changed the default colour to
16.  I can do 1024x768 @ millions of colours (24bit) on the MacOS.

I had added a few 1024x768 modelines.  X started, but it flickered on and
off, like it couldn't sync.  So I REM'd all but one of the 1024x768
modelines.  X wouldn't start.  UnREM'd another one, it started.

It seems X needs at least 2 modelines for each resolution, even if the two
are the same.  Fine.  I tried a bunch of different modelines with different
refresh rates, and each one gave me the same result:  a screen that jitters
because it can't sync to the card.  It works perfectly in the MacOS.

I noticed that some of the Mac modes have +- hsync and vsync, so I tried
playing with those, but it didn't help.

The logfile confirms that X is using the modeline I specified, so I know
it's not just picking a mode form thin air.

Is there something I'm missing ?  I can't figure this out.

Also, even in the 800x600 mode, it will start to flicker after about 10
minutes.  If i switch to text mode and back, it clears itself for another 10
minutes.

I don't know what to do anymore.

Thanks,

AH