On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Phil Lavigna wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   As previously reported, yesterday's upgrade to the latest packages killed X
> on this TiBook, so I performed a clean installation today to see if it would
> result in a better outcome (nope). But I noticed something strange. The first
> two clean installations didn't complete because the last 50 or so packages
> wouldn't install, the message was "There was an error installating packages
> blah, blah, blah." The root partition (which is 3.4GB) was freshly formatted
> during the installer, but when I ran 'df' on console two it said /mnt was 99%
> full. I had selected all the 'Workstation' groups, all the 'Graphical
> desktop' groups, plus 'Documentation.'
>
>   The third time, I chose all the same package groups except for 'Other
> graphical desktops.' The installation then completed without any problem and
> only 50% of the root partition was used. Is the installer not accurately
> reading the correct size of the partitions?

I bet the bogus cyrus-sasl with the 2GB file got you.

> BTW- Stew, since X works fine during the installer, is there anyway I can
> have a functional desktop after the install? Or should I just wait until it
> gets fixed in Cooker? Thanks.

Did you catch my message about manually turning off dri in XF86Config-4?
I've seen other ati users with the same complaint on main cooker.

Or I could generate the very generic Xconf the installer uses.

MandrakeSoft
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ppcFAQ.php3
IRC: irc.openproject.net #cooker-ppc
Archives: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker-ppc&r=1&w=2