I'm not sure how much it can help people with a imac but here goes my X
config for my ibook 366 Usb-Firewire.

It has a Ati rage 128 mobility so it should at least work for the
regular r128 I think imac has.

It worked from 8.2 to the current cooker.
I had to switch from r128 (24) to fbdev (16) sometimes depending of
Xfree vs kernel but not since few months.

I made from the XFree auto configuration with some modifications after.

You probably need some modifications to the monitor section.

Stew, I remember a thread about to create some kind of database to store
working configuration and tips for special ppc model. Is it up somewhere
?

Couldn't it help a lot the installation for the fisrt timers and squash
down trivial but yet very repetitive configuration bugs and definatively
improved scripts ?

I know you're alone but if it could spare you're time from repeating x
times to tried this or that wouldn't worth it ? I think of some kind of
web page table where we could say for the basic stuff.

For this version of mdk : (New iso, cooker, 8.2)
This model works (Old world, old/new imac, ibook, powerbook, there's not
so much in the ppc world)

- Xfree (2D, 3D, directly or with this modification ...links... to a
text file or a thread)

- Pmud

- etc...

Just my 0.02 canadian dollars.

P.

#*****************************************

Section "Files"
    RgbPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath   "unix/:-1"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    # Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><BS> server abort
sequence
    # This allows clients to receive this key event.
    #DontZap

    # Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> mode
switching
    # sequences.  This allows clients to receive these key events.
    #DontZoom

    # This  allows  the  server  to start up even if the
    # mouse device can't be opened/initialised.
    AllowMouseOpenFail
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard1"
    Driver      "Keyboard"
    Option      "AutoRepeat"  "250 30"
    Option      "XkbRules" "xfree86"
    Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option      "XkbLayout" "ca_enhanced"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "Protocol"    "PS/2"
    Option      "Device"      "/dev/usbmouse"
    Option      "Emulate3Buttons"
    Option      "Emulate3Timeout"    "50"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load        "dbe"
    Load        "glx"
    Load        "dri"
    Load        "extmod"
    Load        "record"
    Load        "xtrap"
    Load        "type1"
    Load        "freetype"

# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
#    SubSection "extmod"
        #Option "omit xfree86-dga"
#    EndSubSection

EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode        0666
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Apple|iBook 800x600"
    UseModes   "Mac Modes"
    VendorName "Apple"
    ModelName  "Unknown"
    HorizSync  28.0-50.0
    VertRefresh 43.0-75.0
EndSection

Section "Modes"
    Identifier "Mac Modes"
    # Apple iBook
    Modeline "800x600"    39.955  800  856  984 1056   600  601  605
628 +hsync +vsync
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Graphics device section
# **********************************************************************
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "ATI Rage 128 Mobility"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    BoardName   "Unknown"
    #Driver     "fbdev"
    Driver      "r128"
    # Clock lines
    # Uncomment following option if you see a big white block
    # instead of the cursor!
    #Option      "sw_cursor"

    Option      "UseCCEFor2D"  "false"
    Option      "AGPMode"  "1"