I haven't tried a full install on my PowerBook G4 Ti 867MHz yet because I'm still downloading CD 2 and 3, but the graphical installer comes up with both the benh and mdk kernels and seems to work well (and look great - much better that the old one!).

I can however already report that it doesn't work with my oldworld machines, a PowerBook G3 Wallstreet and a Power Mac 7300. The following is from the Wallstreet, but it's similar on the 7300.

With both the mdk and benh kernels from the boot folder on the CD, I get an error dialog "I can't access a Mandrake Linux Installation disc in you CDROM drive (MATSHITA CR-174)."

Console 2 at this moment reads:

* PCMCIA: probing PCI bus..
*       TI 1131 found, 2 sockets.
* have to insmod pcmcia_core
* needs pcmcia_core
* /tmp/pcmcia_core.o: Read-only file system
* warning, insmod failed (pcmcia_core (null)) (1)
* have to insmod yenta_socket
* needs pcmcia_core
* /tmp/pcmcia_core.o: Read-only file system
* needs yenta_socket
* /tmp/yenta_socket.o: Read-only file system
* warning, insmod failed (yenta_socket (null)) (1)
* have to insmod ds
* needs pcmcia_core
* /tmp/pcmcia_core.o: Read-only file system
* needs ds
* /tmp/ds.o: Read-only file system
* warning, insmod failed (ds (null)) (1)
* CM: cardmgr/hacked starting, version is 3.1.23
* CM: no pcmcia driver in /proc/devices
* CM: cardmgr: failed
* cardmgr rc: -1
* AUTOMATIC: parameter cdrom for method means returning CDROM drive
* have to insmod ide-cd
* needs cdrom
* /tmp/cdrom.o: Read-only file system
* needs ide-cd
* /tmp/ide-cd.o: Read-only file system
* warning, insmod failed (ide-cd (null)) (1)
* have to insmod sr_mod
* needs cdrom
* /tmp/cdrom.o: Read-only file system
* needs sr_mod
* /tmp/sr_mod.o: Read-only file system
* warning, insmod failed (sr_mod (null)) (1)
* looking for ide media
* IDE/1: hda is a IBM-DKLA-24320
* IDE/0: hdc is a MATSHITA CR-174
* looking for scsi media
* looking for Compaq Smart Array media
* looking for DAC960
* /dev/hdc: Read-only file system
* could not create required device file

Using the 2.4.18-4mdkBOOT kernel from 8.2 that's still in the "Mandrake Linux Install.sit" on the CD, loading stage 2 works and the graphical installer starts without problems, but eventually fails because it doesn't find /lib/modules.cz-2.4.18-4mdkBOOT (which of course isn't there because the stage 2 ramdisk wasn't made for that old kernel).

-Christian