Hi,

Last week I succesfully installed 9.1 on my iBook.
I just wanted to thanks Mandrake team and especially Stew for this.
I got my iBook last summer, and then baught and tried Mandrake 8.2 without
success - the ATI Radeon was a bit to new at the time I guess. Debian and Yellow
Dog weren't any better for me at the time to be fair. Since I had other boxes
and mainly uses terminal apps this wasn't such a big issue using OS X/fink. But
as time passes on, you miss X I guess.

I'm glad to be back on this ml: 9.1 downloaded ISOs made it - hey remember I
payed Mandrake store for a non-working distro on a supposed to be supported
laptop! ;-)

Kudos to Stew. Whatever the distro, my experience/research with Linux on Mac
told me that we're few, we're second-class citizens, life's hard, nobody cares
blablabla. But Mandrake and Stew did it.

On a marketing point of view, I also want to point out that the 9.1 eye-candy is
*good*. I understand that Mandrake hired contracted some (tallented) graphic
designers and it shows. The icons are gorgeous, I appreciate that on my x86 box
too. This may even help to appeal some die-hard Apple users (which I'm not).
This is good because it's pleasant and appealing to work on your station, even
if you don't use much more than emacs and a couple of terminals. I'm the kind of
user who don't even care to set a wallpaper but still out of the box it's
rewarding, it's nice, it's a good thing(tm). I've not seen that expressed to
often, so I think I should tell that yes, this is money and time well spent for
Mandrake.

There're still many glitches, but I don't want to sound negative here.
Not much info on the install process to give: partitionning was done a year ago
etc. Ah yes: if your screen goes dark after the early boot stages, do wait 2-3
minutes. At first I got a dark screen in the stages when you usually have the lines:
doing this and that_______________________[OK]
(inherited from Red Hat)
...then discovered kdm by "mistake" after a letting my iBook rest for a few
minutes. Sorry I don't quite remember what I did to have this familiar lines
back, I'll have to sort out my notes.

Vive Mandrake! Vive la France! Vive les fromages!
Bonsoir,
--
Jean-Baptiste Maillet