On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Tomas Taylor wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have changed my mind.  I don't want Linux on my G4 after all.
> Instead I want it on my PowerBook G3.  This way I'll have a separate
> laptop for each platform.
>
> The 4GB hard drive easily fit on the 40GB G4 and OS9 will run all of
> it.  I imported all my mail stuff into my browser.
>
> Do I have to do anything else to prepare my G3 for a Linux install?

Having free space on the drive is key.  If you don't you'll bump into
warnings about not being able to create bootstrap, etc.  Also "Erase All"
probably should have been completely disabled on PPC.  Macs use the 1st
partition to store the partition table itself, so you end up losing the
partition table as well as the bootstrap, if it had room to be created.

Best plan is to resize the partition in MacOS initially, and leave some
space (probably at least 2GB) unallocated for Linux.

If you want a Linux only system, then either remove the partition in MacOS
and leave everything free or delete it in diskdrake.  You'll probably then
either want to reboot/restart, or if you're comfortable enough with
partitioning, manually redo the bootstrap and format it.

MandrakeSoft