Hi!

(Sorry, Sergio, for mailing it twice, but I guess my mailer
was convinced of your "Reply-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]". I was
really meaning sending it to the list. ;-)

Quoting Sergio Korlowsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> I installed cooker....
> kernel-2.2.13-9mdk and ppp-2.3.9-5mdk
> well... ppp just dosn't work? so I though... hmmm
> it must be ppp-2.3.9

The ppp-2.3.9-5 is crap it my opinion.
It should *not* add the
alias tty-ldisc-3    ppp_async
alias char-major-108 ppp_generic
alias ppp0           ppp_async
alias ppp            ppp_async

stuff in conf.modules. This is rubbish. This is only meant for
kernel > 2.3.... hmm, let me look at the docs in the ppp-2.3.9-5
... quoting:
"As of kernel version 2.3.13, the development series of kernels contain
a new kernel PPP driver, rewritten from scratch by Paul Mackerras.
[...]
The new driver is divided into two files: ppp_generic.c and
ppp_async.c.  The old ppp.c is still present in the kernel sources but
is not used.  If you compile PPP as a module, you will get two
separate modules, called ppp_generic and ppp_async.
...]
If you use module autoloading and have PPP as a module, you will need
to add the following to /etc/conf.modules:

alias tty-ldisc-3    ppp_async
alias char-major-108 ppp_generic
[...]"

Yeah. As of kernel version 2.3.13. The 2.2.x series does *not*
contain ppp_async and ppp_generic. Well, admittingly, I didn't
look at the latest 2.2.x Mandrake-Kernel, perhaps they did patch
stuff from the 2.3.x in. But then it's incompatible with original
kernels anyway.

On the other hand, you should get away with just some warnings
with those ppp module stuff in conf.modules.

Anyway, I commented out the conf.modules stuff added from the ppp rpm,
and I am running a 2.2.13pre9 from ftp.kernel.org, and it's working
fine.

(I love that Modem Lights Applet in the GNOME bar... ;-)

What was I to say? When running a 2.2.x kernel, get rid of
that ppp_async and ppp_generic stuff.

                         Kai.

P.S.
 Perhaps the additional conf.modules lines should be inserted
 by the hacker-kernel rpm, not by the ppp rpm?

--
Kai Nielsen, Berlin              Time and again I tell myself
"She turns me on                 I'll stay clean tonight