Chmouel Boudjnah wrote:

> Jeff Garzik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > One thing I was wondering -- RedHat has always had the problem where a
> > kernel upgrade via RPM was not complete, ie. I could not do
> >       rpm -U kernel*.rpm
> >       reboot
> > and get a new kernel.
> > Basically it did not re-run LILO, if I recall correctly, but there may
> > have been other problems too.
> > Does Mandrake have the same problem?
>
> This is what the rpm do :
>
> if [ -x /sbin/lilo -a -f /etc/lilo.conf ]; then
>     /sbin/lilo > /dev/null 2>&1
>     exit 0
> fi
>
> but it's assume you have a lilo entry pointing to /boot/vmlinuz.
>
> I look to make a script who add a entry.

That's what I forgot:  lilo.conf specifies the kernel version.  IMHO rpm
needs to update lilo.conf by doing something like

if [ -x /sbin/lilo -a -f /etc/lilo.conf ]; then
        sed -e 's#/boot.*kernel.*mdk#/boot/kernel-2.2.13-20mdk#' \
                 < lilo.conf > lilo.conf.new
        if cmp lilo.conf*; then
                /sbin/lilo
        fi
fi

That way lilo isn't run unless it sees an mdk kernel.  (note - you don't
want to use above script verbatim, because rpm needs to be smart enough
to _only_ do s/old-version/new-version/)