After updating all the packages, I did not notice that gnome was broken
until I logged off from X and logged in again.

None of the panel applets will run giving the following message:

[nito@fulgore:~]$ mini_commander_applet
type = 0 exid = (null)

** CRITICAL **: file applet-widget.c: line 668
(gnome_panel_applet_corba_init): assertion `panel_client != ((void *)0)'
failed.

** CRITICAL **: file applet-widget.c: line 708 (applet_widget_new):
assertion `corbadat!=NULL' failed.

** ERROR **: Can't create applet!

aborting...
Aborted (core dumped)
[nito@fulgore:~]$

Anyway, the problem seems to be only with the applets, since all other
gnome apps run fine; except for the ones that use libgtop that I already
reported earlier.

--
Eugenio Diaz, BSEE/BSCE
Linux Engineer