On Sun, 26 Dec 1999, David Hart wrote:

>       Ok, installed tonight's mirror of oxygen over a completely stock LM6.0.
> The only changes I had made on the 6.0 were to start-up services.
>       1. No option for "Emulate 3-buttons" in the mouse setup? I realize it
> went ahead with the emulation, just seems odd for the option not to be there
> (maybe somebody actually disables it?).

It should have gone with what ever you setup in the prior install, and
should be toggleable in expert

>       2. Network card setup is a tad confusing when you've got 2 NIC's. My
> PCI card was detected fine, and adding my ISA worked fine. But when I got to
> configuring the network, it would have been nice if I didn't have to guess
> which card I was setting up. I just got the same dialog twice in a row, filled
> out the first like I wanted eth0, the second like I wanted eth1. Worked fine,
> just would have been nice if it said "Adapter 1", etc. for each card (maybe for
> 7.1). Strangely, looking at the setup in linuxconf, the cards were setup on
> Adapter 2 and 3, instead of 1 and 2.

:) I know the feeling

>       3. Setup my parallel port zip drive during install, choosing ppa.
> Seemed to work fine, but on the first reboot I got errors something like this:
>
> /lib/modules/2.2.14-11mdk/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol parport_enumerate_Rbc6d420a
> /lib/modules/2.2.14-11mdk/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
>parport_unregister_device_Rfa973b06
> /lib/modules/2.2.14-11mdk/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol parport_claim_R7d06c772
> /lib/modules/2.2.14-11mdk/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
>parport_register_device_R6b29a231
> /lib/modules/2.2.14-11mdk/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol parport_release_R9ea0a43b
>
>       This is actually the output of "insmod ppa", but the errors are the
> same. This could be my fault; I've never bothered setting up the zip, so I'm
> not sure.

:/
it'll be useing modprobe not insmod, try that manualy and send your
/etc/conf.modules please

>       4. Getting into KDE, had an ugly desktop :) There was no icon for the
> new DOS_hda1 kdelink. Also, XKill and KPPP kdelnk's only had the kde "?" icon.
> The other ugly bit was all the *.kdelnk.rpmorig files. I realize this is just
> rpm trying not to overwrite anything important, but it in this case it'd be
> nice to get rid of them.

I thought there was a script to clean these up. Pixel? KDE type
persons? :)

>       5. Several startup services I hadn't wanted were added by the upgrade.

These are "bugs" but no one seems to believe me that all the chkconfig
enabled services should default to off in all runlevels. :(

> I didn't catch all of them during boot, but drakxservices showed:
>       apmd, inet, netfs, nfs, nfslock, pcmcia, postfix, routed, rstatd,
> ruserd, rwhod,  and ypbind all enabled when they shouldn't have been. Some added
> by msec maybe? I used medium security. By the way, for 7.1 descriptions of the
> daemons in drakxservices (like in the old text install services setup) would
> be real nice.
>       6. Worst bug. Clicking on Mousedrake in DrakConf killed my mouse!
> Really weird, first the pointer disappeared for a second, then skipped up and
> off the screen. It was unresponsive. Switch to a virtual terminal and back to X
> brought it back. Tried mousedrake again (for the hell of it) and this time it
> did the same thing, but wouldn't come back. It actually locked KDE and I had
> to ctrl-alt-bkspace X. Weird thing is that I'm using a real boring mouse! Just
> a  Logitech Mouseman serial that I'd configured during install. I do have an
> unused PS/2 mouse port, if that helps.

Did it spit out any errors?

>       7. The X server for voodoo banshee (which was cleanly detected in
> install) seems to be an older version. It has some redrawing bugs which have
> been fixed in the latest release. Had the same problems under LM6.1, so the
> problem was real familiar (KDE taskbar having odd slices where an app had been
> listed and then closed, etc.). The more recent (non-DRI) server from 3dfx fixes
> it.

not to much can be done here but wait for XFree to update :(

>       Otherwise, looking pretty good so far. DrakConf was correctly installed
> this time through. You know, I don't think anyone on this list has mentioned
> it, so I have to ask? What's the reason for the major version jump to 7.0?
>       Keep up the great work, everybody.

Do you remeber the "Linux-Mandrake 6.1" "MacMillan deluxe 6.5" problems,
well we've solved them ;)

--
MandrakeSoft          http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
                                        --Axalon