I have noticed the exact problem that Scott describes - with fresh installs
of Red Hat 6.1 and Mandrake 6.1.  I notice it most when using the Gimp and
RealPlayer G2 in KDE.  (I don't use GNOME, so I can't say if the GUI
elements problem occurs in GNOME or not).  I also frequently see the
scrollbars of Netscape and KFM become "flattened" (they loose their 3D
shaded appearance over a portion of their length) when a dialog box is
displayed over and then removed from these applications' windows.

Incidentally, I installed Xi Graphics' MaXimum CDE/AcceleratedX server over
RH6.1 (we use CDE on our HP-UX boxes at work), and the GUI-element problem
with Gimp and RealPlayerG2 went away. I'm back to KDE, because of it's user
friendliness, but the GUI element problem is annoying.

I have also noticed bright blue and green borders to my K menu, which I have
colored teal.  It's like the 3D shading in KDE does not quite function
properly.  I wish I could help, but I'm not a programmer.  Just thought I
would let everyone know that Scott isn't the only one to experience the GUI
element problem.

My X settings, hardware:
1280x1024,16bpp,85Hz
Diamond Monster Fusion 16MB (3dfx Voodoo Banshee)
XFree86 3.3.5
Logitech FirstMouse+
PII-400, 128 MB

Phil

I apologize for the idiot Hotmail blurb at the bottom of this.