On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Dara Hazeghi wrote:

> I am overall pleased with Oxygen but I have 2 complaints:
>
> 1. After doing an upgrade at a high security level, All lines in my
> resolv.conf have been commented out.
>
> 2. The default gateway has been set to none.
>
> I think that security should not mean willfully modifying existing
> settings. After all, if I wanted to wipe things clean, I could have done
> an install, not an upgrade.

I agree.  I would do something like this:

if (new security setting would cause changes) {
        ask if the user would like to view and confirm changes
        if (user says yes) {
                list the changes that will be done, with a checkbox in
                front of each one, with verbose descriptions available.
        }
        else {
                do the changes without confirmation
        }
}
else {
        leave everything alone
}

You know, my coding style looks pretty ugly.  I should probably change it
one of these days.