> > my hardware is a brand-new linksys/network-everywhere pcmcia (not
> > cardbus) card that behaves like an NE2000, and the model appears
in
> > the installation menu.
> > on a nearly-identical notebook i was able to install mandrake 6.1
> > using a 3com etherlink III card (model 5x895d, i believe).
> > how can i troubleshoot this further?
>
> can you download on your 6.1 the kernel-2.2.14-13mdk.i586.rpm and
> kernel-pcmcia-cs-2.2.14-13mdk.i586.rpm reboot and run a :
>
> -$ cardctl status

thanks for the reply; i'll do that.  btw, the original notebook runs
freebsd-pao 3.3 right now.  if there is anything i can do to see what
freebsd thinks of it, i'm willing to check it out.

uh, my system became unbootable the last time i installed the kernel
updates on 6.1.  the instructions said "you have to edit your
lilo.conf", but didn't say what the changes were.  back then i didn't
even know where lilo.conf lived.  still, i'll update and then look at
my lilo.conf for obvious strangeness before rebooting.

for which card would you like the cardctl output?  the etherlink III
or the ne2000?  (or both?)

-- bd

p.s.  someone wrote to me privately to say that he had the same card
(the ne2000 one).  it was recognized and worked automatically with
6.1, but it didn't work with 7.0 beta.  he added that the linksys web
site says to use a tulip driver, but that didn't work for him on any
version of mandrake.