Robert Fargher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Man o man, I'm fucked.
>
>   I had originally installed Mandrake Oxygen as a full install to a
> spare partition that I have for testing.  It seemed to run fine (with
> the few problems that I noted previously).
>
>   This encouraged me to go ahead with the jump to upgrade my Mandrake
> 6.1 installation.  This is my main system.
>
>   Prior to the upgrade, I had a nicely tuned system.  I was booting
> into runlevel 5 and running KDE without problems.
>
>   The upgrade process seemed to go OK, a few minor glitches.  I set
> it to boot into runlevel 5 (as I had been doing previously).  I had a
> perfectly good XF86Config so I told the
>
>   Out of the install box, runlevel 5 didn't work.  Turns out that it
> was missing the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm directory so it couldn't write
> the PID file.  I made that directory and restarted.  This time the
> login screen came up.  I logged in but no window manager started,
> whether or not I selected either KDE or Gnome.  I was left with just
> a bare xterm.
>
>   So I restarted, this time into runlevel 3.  X started fine and my
> KDE desktop appeared.  Phew!.  But my fonts are all
> wrong!  None of my TrueType fonts work anymore.  Nor can I change
> desktop fonts using the KDE Control Centre. :-(
>
>   Now Netscape won't run. :-(((
>
> [rob@localhost rob]$ netscape
> /usr/bin/netscape: pidof: command not found
> netscape-communicator: locale `C' not supported.
>         Perhaps the $XNLSPATH environment variable is not set
> correctly?
> Warning: Color name "black" is not defined
> Warning: Cannot convert string "-microsoft-comic sans
> ms-medium-r-normal--17-120-100-100-p-0-iso8859-9" to type FontStruct
> Warning: Color name "green" is not defined
> Warning: Color name "red" is not defined
> Warning: Cannot convert string "-microsoft-comic sans
> ms-medium-r-normal--17-120-100-100-p-0-iso8859-9" to type FontStruct
> Warning: Cannot convert string "-microsoft-comic sans
> ms-bold-r-normal--17-120-100-100-p-0-iso8859-9" to type FontStruct
> Warning: Color name "Gray60" is not defined
> Warning: Color name "Black" is not defined
> Warning: Color name "Blue" is not defined
> Bus error
>
>   Ksirc, which ran fine in Mandrake 6.1, now segfaults. :-((((
>
>   Damn near nothing runs:
> kcmkdesu: cannot connect to X server
> kdmconfig: cannot connect to X server
> kcmkfm: cannot connect to X server
> kcmkfm: cannot connect to X server
> kcmkpanel: cannot connect to X server
>
>   Virtually nothing on the panel works: the icons are there but
> clicking on them does nothing.
>
>   On the desktop, the icons for Kppp and Kill are the "?" icons.
>
>   I am not a happy camper.  Not at all.

Sorry for this bad upgrade,

There are been correction for upgrade including one that affect netscape.
Other problems relative to KDE and locales may already have been corrected,
as upgrade was not running well 2-3 weeks earlier due to insuficient memory,
This problem has been corrected now.

So can you send me the ddebug.log and install.log if you still have them,
and the date when you get the oxygen mirror for the upgrade ?

François.