While not germain to the Mandrake beta, I am hoping somebody has an idea
that they can help me with.

I have 3 scsi drives on an adaptec 2940 controller.  The drives are on
scsi ids 0, 1 and 2.  This controller supports the idea of being able to
specify the scsi id to boot from.  So I can tell the controller to boot
from drive 2 if I want.  Drive 2 is where I have oxygen loaded.

When I select "boot from id 2" the controller's bios refers to the disk
on id 2 as "C:", but once Linux is loaded the disk on id 2 is
"/dev/sdc".  This all makes sense to me.  The problem is LILO.  My
lilo.conf:

   boot=/dev/sdc
   map=/boot/map
   install=/boot/boot.b
   vga=0x0f06
   default=linux
   keytable=/boot/us.klt
   prompt
   timeout=50
   message=/boot/message
   other=/dev/fd0
        label=floppy
        unsafe
   image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/sdc3
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append=""
        read-only

When I run "lilo" I get:

Warning: /dev/sdc is not on the first disk
Warning: BIOS drive 0x82 may not be accessible
Warning: BIOS drive 0x82 may not be accessible
Warning: BIOS drive 0x82 may not be accessible
Added floppy
Warning: BIOS drive 0x82 may not be accessible
Warning: BIOS drive 0x82 may not be accessible
Added linux *

I understand why lilo thinks this but thought I could ignore it because
the controller will see to it that the drive will be accessable and able
to boot from.  But when I boot from the disk on id 2, I get "LI" and
then it stops.

Unfortunately I still don't completely understand how booting works on a
PC, with the MBR and partitions and all that sort.  If anybody has any
ideas how to make this work, I would appreciate it.

Thanx,
b.

--
Brian J. Murrell                              InterLinx Support Services, Inc.
North Vancouver, B.C.                                             604 983 UNIX