Using stock installation, my audio is found and setup. Event audio works
well, but playing MP3 audio
using any of the installed mp3 players has some trouble. As long as I don't
modify the volume from the player or from the mixer, it plays fine. If I
adjust the audio levels, then the system immediately freezes.
I am forced to do a hard-reset to recover.

X works well and is setup correctly without any problems. This is an
improvement over earlier versions.

I am using the secure kernel.

The sound device is identified as a Maestro-2.

On another p2 system with the same installation and again with a Maestro-2
card, I experience the same problem. It locks solid.

Anyone else run into this?