On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Roger wrote:

> Well after trying to access my dos partitions via "su" within kde, my desktop
> has permanently crashed.
>
> Everytime i start up kde and login as that user, the desktop icons no longer
> show and nothing has the ability execute, tho' the taskbars do show.
>
> Then, when trying to log-out, the system freezes, permanently!
>
> all files (desktop stuff) does still appear within teh /home/user/Desktop dir
> when woring in text mode and not xserver.

Ideas:

1.  Edit /etc/fstab to make all your mounts (except /) noauto.

2. Reboot from scratch.     Does KDE come up OK now?

3. Mount one of your vfat partitions manually.

4. Use a kfm window to look at this partition.

5. If OK, repeat 3 & 4 on the next vfat partition.

6. If KDE freezes delete any .directory files you find in the
first-level subdirectories of that vfat partition.

Just a guess, Roger!

 --

Regards,

Ron. [AU] - sent by Linux.