Hi!

I just noticed (and it took a little time to figure this out) that
the /etc/sysconfig/i18n may be problematic.

I did just a complete recompile of all GNOME libs and apps (the "normal"
distribution tarballs, not the mdk SRPMS) and didn't have any locales
installed afterwards.

After examining the ./configure scripts I became aware that it must
be the fault of the LINGUAS variable. But even "export LINGUAS="
before configuring did not help.

When I changed "LINGUAS=de_DE:de" to "LINGUAS=" in /etc/sysconfig/i18n
and logged in again, it was fine afterwards. Now all the locales
got installed when trying again.

The problematic parts in all those configure scripts was determining
which catalogs should be installed, eg in mc-4.5.42:

   if test "x$CATOBJEXT" != "x"; then
     if test "x$ALL_LINGUAS" = "x"; then
       LINGUAS=
     else
       echo $ac_n "checking for catalogs to be installed""... $ac_c" 1>&6
echo "configure:3445: checking for catalogs to be installed" >&5
       NEW_LINGUAS=
       for lang in ${LINGUAS=$ALL_LINGUAS}; do
         case "$ALL_LINGUAS" in
          *$lang*) NEW_LINGUAS="$NEW_LINGUAS $lang" ;;
         esac
       done
       LINGUAS=$NEW_LINGUAS
       echo "$ac_t""$LINGUAS" 1>&6
     fi

          if test -n "$LINGUAS"; then
       for lang in $LINGUAS; do CATALOGS="$CATALOGS $lang$CATOBJEXT"; done
     fi
   fi

This was not working with LINGUAS set in i18n. Just to tell you...

                                            Kai.

--
Kai Nielsen, Berlin              Time and again I tell myself
"She turns me on                 I'll stay clean tonight