On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, OS wrote:

> As soon as the pppd has established a connection any attempt to start anything
> at all results in :

> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
<snip>
> However root@localhost has now become root@mfs-pci-bqm-vty53 !!!

It looks to me like ppp is automatically configuring your computer's
hostname to match the dynamic hostname given by your ISP.  What happens is
you start X with your usual hostname (localhost), connect, receive a
hostname from your ISP which ppp sets as your new hostname automatically,
and then when you try to start a program in X, it refuses as a security
measure--thinking someone on another machine is trying to run the program.
I don't know if that's technically correct, but that's how I understand
it.

In kppp the solution is simply not checking the "Auto-configure hostname
from this IP" box.  The ifup/ifdown scripts have never changed my
hostname.  So, assuming you're not using kppp (you didn't mention it in
the list of programs you're using), I'm not sure how you would change that
setting.

-Tom