Well and all, it's not exactly the way this article discusses it.

Here's the poop:

SIS is a part of the whole remote system installation and configuration
gig. Basically, the SIS service reads all of the files in a disk image,
determines the identical ones, moves any that are identical to a common
storage facility and creates a link to it in the original location.
During the imaging of a new machine, any linked files or objects are
taken from the store rather than from their original location.

It's not a really new idea, databases have been doing similar things for
years, but it is still pretty clever since it allows you to create
multiple Win2K images for rapid installation since disk space is saved
by common storing of files that are copied more than once. Mind you, if
the OS wasn't so bloated it wouldn't have been a real issue...

This mechanism is not usable in a normal NTFS volume for day-to-day data
activity. Bear in mind that NTFS under Win2K does support symbolic links
in a more traditional manner, and has done so for some time. The press
release is just not very clear on what SIS is really all about.

I'm not a fan of Microsoft, but they do have the odd piece of technology
that is both clever and useful.

John