Samba adds the "swat" service to /etc/inetd.conf without checking if the
inetd package (netkit-base) is installed.  This gives the user the false
impression that "swat" should be working.

LinuxConf adds the "linuxconf" service to /etc/inetd.conf without checking
if the inetd package (netkit-base) is installed.  This gives the user the
false impression that "linuxconf" should be working.

The inetd package (netkit-base) installs without merging changes with the
existing /etc/inetd.conf.  If it does not find one, it creates it with the
default services.  If it finds one, it creates a inetd.rpmsave.  If for some
reason LinuxConf or Samba are installed before netkit-base, the only two
services that will be active are "linuxconf" and "swat", because netkit-base
will see an existing inetd.conf and not overwrite it.  This means that
telnet and FTP are not working.

This was noticed in Red Hat 6.1.  I am not aware if this is an issue in
Mandrake 7 or not, I thought I'd pass it along just in case it is.
Considering how similiar Red Hat and Mandrake are, I figured the possibility
would be high that it is present in both distributions.

I do not have permission to use the person's name who found this.  If she
wants credit, I'm more than happy to give it to her.  She did find it, I
just verified it.

Don Head
Linux Mentor
Wave Technologies, Inc.