Hi,

I've just installed Mandrake on my alpha (thanks for the iso).
My alpha is a Personal Workstation, otherwise known as "miata".

The install went pretty smooth, but there are some glitches (most
of them related to my setup).

Here's how it went:

I first made a 5Mb partition on the "target" disk (sdc in my situation).
I mode it with the AlphaBios software, and formatted it there (FAT16).
I'm planning to use this partition to store linload.exe and milo.

I then booted off of the CDrom + floppy

boot scd0:/boot/instboot.gz root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1 mdkinst rw
ramdisk_size=32000

This uses the linload.exe and milo off of the cdrom and then loads in a
ramdisk
from floppy. The ramdisk I used is /boot/network.rdz (dd to floppy
beforehand).

It booted and I chose for http install. It found my networkcard (the
onboard 21143 chip)
and I gave it a static IP. The install over http went fine from there.

The parts that had problems are the following:

1) Create bootdisk:
I got the following error:

        an error occurred
        mkbootdisk failed

on console alt-f3: exec of mkbootdisk failed: no such file or directory.
                lilo.pm line 51.

I beleive there is no such thing as mkbootdisk for the alpha
(arch-excluded).

2) Install bootloader:
        Q: Do you want to use aboot?
        A: Yes.

What it then does / is supposed to do is not clear to me...

3) Configure X:
I chose "Iiyama 9017ET". I then got the following error:
        no valid modes found
        try with another videocard or monitor.

Alt-F1: VertRefresh
        ^^^^^^^^^^^
        Horizontal sync value expected.

Alt-F3: warning X probeonly failed at /usr/.....

I then tried the "default" 1024x768 monitor and that worked fine.
This could mean that it's not an alpha related problem.

Then the install was completed.

I then wanted to boot using the following milo paramters:
boot sdc3:/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdc3

It then shows:
        boot/vmlinuz path component is not a directory
        Failed to load the kernel.

Booting with:
boot sda2:/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdc3

Does work (sda2:/boot/vmlinuz is the location of the kernel on
my old installation).

This last problem is the one that stops me from being able to
boot mandrake... I don't know if it's a milo problem or something
else (maybe you're not allowed to boot from sdc)... The strange
thing is that I can do a "ls sda2:/boot" and not a "ls sdc3:/boot"
(it gives the "boot/vmlinuz path component is not a directory" error).
Maybe I should put the "target" disk on SCSI ID 0....

I also couldn't find anything on the axp-list or milo HOWTO that
points at a sollution or shows a similar case...

Stefan van der Eijk