First a correction,
I should have said Viper Support not Irongate <:}~ (long day). second some clairification, with viper chipset support removed
my toshiba dvd/cdrom returned but the mitsumi cd-wr did not. just a side note I tried to boot the original Kernel last night, and still no mitsumi. i did backups and then a clean install MDK 7.0 Deluxe Edition (retail). retail version install seen the return of cd-wr functionality.

  any idea's

amd Athlon 600, 384 mgs ram,MSI mainboard with amd's north and south bridge (msi mod # 6167)
10 gig primary hd, 4 gig secondary drive bus 0, bus 1 toshiba dvd/cdrom master, mitsumi 4x4x24 cd-wr secondary
ATI 32 meg rage 128 agp 2x
adsl internet, thru 3 com ethernet card , camen 3220 adsl router/hub.

  If someone would point me in a directoin I would love to continue investigating this ( can't write code but i can test/experiment.)

robert