It works with cooker.
What I did: downloaded the Mandrake/mdkinst
                           Mandrake/base
                           images
                           misc
            directories.
            copied the Mandrake/RPMS from MDK 7.01.
            (takes too much time for me to download Cooker RPMS)
            wrote it to a CDRW-disc, my computer cannot boot from the
            CDRW drive because it is the second CD drive on my system,
            and the first (CDROM) cannot read CDRW-discs, so I
            created a boot floppy from cdrom.img.

after entering stage 2, the screen shows:

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno=111
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno=111
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno=111
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno=111

then the VGA16 server is loaded, and
the graphical install screen comes up.

There are some other warnings on VC 1 after the graphics have come up:

Error opening security policy file
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy

GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to: No such user 0.
gdk_imlib: Cannot find palette. A palette is required for this mode.
Mon Apr 3 11:04:52 2000 Gdk-WARNING **:shmget failed!
at /usr/bin/perl-install/install_steps_gtk.pm line 783
entering step 'choose your language'

on VC 7: rmmod: module msdos not loaded. (I do have windows partitions)

My mouse doesn't get detected: it is a Quickshot mouse, i can make it
Microsoft
compatible or Mouse Systems with a MS/PC switch. Either way it doesn't
work.
It is on ttyS1, because there is a serial cable on ttyS0.

on VC 1:Mouse: type Microsoft, device: /dev/mouse, baudrate: 1200
Mouse: buttons:3, 3button emulation (timeout: 50ms)
on VC 3:probing: /dev/ttyS0 find class:
on VC 3:probing: /dev/ttyS1 find class:

When I get to the select mouse screen I select Mouse Systems(3button).
The switch is on PC (Mouse Systems) and the cursor behaves very
erratically,
it has never done that.
When i put the switch on MS (Microsoft) it finally does what I want.

Misc: VC 7: cannot open archivefile /usr/share/xmodmap.cz2

Note I am no developer, but maybe you can do something with
these error messages.